2) Genetically engineered foods are foods derived from genetically modified organisms. Genetically modified organisms have had specific changes introduced into their DNA by genetic engineered techniques.
3) The benefits of genetically engineered foods are
4) The risks of genetically engineered foods are
- Lack of long term studies on food safety.
- Lack of long term studies on environmental impact.
- Diminished opportunity for organic/sustainable agriculture
- Potential risk of rendering Bacillius thuringiensis (Bt), a natural biological pesticide, useless due to widespread use of Bt-engineered crops.
- Potential life threatening danger for individuals with food allergies or sensitivities who might unknowingly ingest altered foods to which they are allergic, sensitive, or intolerant.
- New genetic structure of foods might result in new allergens.
- Toxicity levels of naturally occurring food toxins might result in new allergens.
- Toxicity levels of naturally occurring food toxins might inadvertently be altered.
- Cruelty to animals.
- Unacceptability of creating novel organisms that would not occur through traditional means of reproduction (crossing plants and animals or unrelated species of animals).
- Environmental damage due to cross pollination and disturbed ecosystems.
- Pesticide tolerance.
- Herbicide tolerance
- Ethical and spiritual concerns.